FIRE INCIDENT IN THE ZION HOSTEL

A fire incident in the Zion girls hostel room 7 was reported at 11:45 am on the 27th of November 2019 as a student passing by the room saw smoke fumes coming out of the room and tried to open the door but to no avail and so immediately alerted the matron and fire service officials to tend to the issue.
It was then discovered that the resident of the room had left her electric cooker on with a pot of spaghetti on top of it and went to school.
A 100 level theatre arts student, Tehnrat Pinta, who is also a resident of the hostel and a witness to the mishap said that the fire was clearly as a result of the carelessness of the student who left the food on the electric cooker to burn and if it was not reported on time, it would have become a bigger problem to handle. Also, Udeze Precious Samuel said that “of course it was a result of carelessness but non the less it was also as a result of the pressure of examinations”. Another student of the department of psychology Nerat Nyam said there is no good reason to be so careless and every student should be more attentive to their environment.
The matron of the hostel and the fire officials made it clear to the students present to turn off all electrical appliances in their rooms and keep fire hazards away from electric sockets before going out to prevent such events from occurring.
Report and phots by Grace Hans-Bello
Edited by JM (3/5)

23 total views, 2 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.